Facebook Twitter Gplus LinkedIn YouTube Google Maps E-mail RSS

Saturday 3 November 2012

Evernote 5 for iOS Brings New Look, Quick Access, & Smoother Workflow


Close on the heels of Evernote 5 for Mac beta launch, Evernote gives us a look at Evernote 5 for iOS. Their goal: refresh the UI so everything is only one or two taps away.

I can’t say that I’m an Evernote addict, but I do have an IFTTT item to pull all my Instapaper items into Evernote (so I have a searchable archive) and when I have meetings I take my notes there. I have downloaded and poked around in Evernote 5 for Mac (beta) a bit…just a bit…and I think I can get used to it. The UI there does let you jump between things quickly, so what does this have to do with iOS? Well, the philosophy behind the update for the Mac app is being pushed on to the iOS app with the next update to Evernote for iOS.

The first look video gives a nice taste of what’s to come. Tabs, flick through notes, quick search, and important tasks on the home screen makes this update a double-edged sword. I think it’s going to be a great step forward in how we use the app on mobile, but it’s also going to take some getting used to before we all like it. Below is their screenshot of the new UI next to a screenshot of the current Evernote (mine):



Although the scale is completely different you can see that the new UI is going to let me jump and skim though my notes quickly, while the current UI might not be elegant I do see my notes right away. Which is “better” I don’t know yet. I’m also tentative about all the changes Evernote are making. They haven’t messed with Penultimate after they acquired it and have made Skitch for iOS pretty useful, but they royally messed up Skitch for Mac. I’d say Evernote is trying to push UI and push new ways to move our idea of note taking from paper and pen (tools I still carry and use) to finger/stylus and tablet.


I’m looking forward to testing Evernote for iOS and given things like the Smart Notebook by Moleskine, I think Evernote is certainly on the path to push us to cool new places.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© iPhone hitz
All rights reserved
Bloggerized by Free Blogger Templates
Instruction by Blog Teacher